Skip to main content

How to make your DSL Internet connection stable (prevent long timeouts)

This is question submitted by Alex Dimacaraig of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu.

A stable DSL Internet connection is very important especially if you are fond with online games. I love playing CrossFire Philippines so upgraded my PLDT internet connection to the 10mbps plan. The speed really went faster but along the way I experienced this “cut-offs” in the connection. By typing “ping yahoo.com –t” to the command prompt, I was able to know that my connection is experiencing regular request timeouts from time to time. Regular short timeouts or when the REQUEST TIMEOUT message appears only once between successful pings is normal, but mine has several request timeouts before successful pinging works again. Obviously, my online game disconnects even before I finish one game which is frustrating.

Most of the answers you can find online are solutions applied to your computer settings or software-involved. However, most of the time it is your physical connection line that has the problem. It might be caused by unstable power supply or interferences in the wired connections. If you have tried all of these stuffs and haven’t got the expected result, it is time to read on my solution.

TRY THESE FIXES:

  1. Check your Telephone Box and the ground system. If there are exposed wires or damaged connections (in any form), call your ISP provider and request for wire connection repairs. Their service personnel know how to connect those wires securely and appropriately preventing noise and interference.
  2. Check the telephone line until you reach the splitter. Do step 1 if there are problems.
  3. Check the line from the splitter to the modem. Do step 1 if there are problems.
  4. Provide an exact required power adapter for your modem. If your modem requires a 12V – 1.0A power, look for this kind of adapter. REMEMBER: No less, no more for stable power supply.
  5. If you are using a router and a switch/hub, repeat step 4.
  6. Connect your modem, router, and switch adapters to an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) again for stable power supply.
  7. Place your modem, router, and switch adapters away from any appliances or computers. A meter away will do.
AFTER THAT, FOLLOW THIS STEP-BY-STEP RECONFIGURATION:

  1. Connect the DSL cable to the modem, turn it on (turn off the router and switch if you are using).
  2. Turn on and off the modem for 5 times.
  3. (SKIP IF NOT USING ROUTER) Connect the cable from the modem to the router’s first port. Turn on the router. Read your router manual on how to reset or configure your router.
  4. (SKIP IF NOT USING A SWITCH) Connect the cable from the router to the switch’s first port. Turn on the switch.
  5. When all machines are connected, make sure the lights indicating DSL, ETHERNET, INTERNET, PORT 1 is on.
  6. Connect your computer/s to the switch one by one. If you want to assign IPs per computer, connect the computers to the switch in ascending manner depending on the IP number. For example connect the 198.162.1.102 to a port next to where you connect 198.162.1.101.
  7. Check if the green light of the port where you connect the computer lights.

APPLY THESE COMPUTER SETTINGS, IF NEEDED:

  1. Flush DNS.
  2. Change from Automatic Obtain IP to Manual Preferred IP.
  3. Use Internet Boosting Software.
  4. Go to SpeedTest.Net to check if your ISP is providing you the speed it promises.
  5. Type “ping yahoo.com –t” to the command prompt.
  6. Restart the computer.
  7. Reset the router.

FINALLY, if nothing really was improved, get a new modem from your Internet provider, buy a latest modem (especially for gaming), and request your serviceman to rewire your telephone line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.