Skip to main content

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler.

I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it.

I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to install the cooler tightly. Anyway, this cooler is just a quick install and zero maintenance liquid cooling system. That was I am thinking, not until I started the computer and heard noise again. This time it seems that the pump is just sounding too much.

It was frustrating to know that the expensive cooler did not really answer my problem. This time it was more crucial because I might damage my computer and the cooler. However, I did not lose heart because problems really arise at first try.

Before trying to fix the cooler rattling or bubbling noise, I read some more forums. They are not really of much help but this question from Yahoo Answers (same as mine) replied with an explanation about the noise. I am glad actually, because I am not alone with this problem. The tech person says that this kind of liquid cooling system uses water securely inside those big tubes. However, they do not fill the tubes fully giving room for bubbles sometimes. These bubbles arise when the water moves. This causes the rattling noise of the cooler. Then, he suggests turning the computer upside down while it is running in order to eliminate the bubbles. I was a little bit worried about his suggestion because my computer is big and heavy. Instead, here is what I have done based on that suggestion:

First, I turned off the computer and disconnected all cables connected to it.

Second, I let my computer lay horizontally with the motherboard facing downwards. The computer is now lying like a DVD-player.

Third, I connected all the cables back and started the computer.

Fourth, I listened to the computer while it is running and the rattling sound is gone. It was just a quite computer running fast and easy. It seems that the positioning of the computer caused the bubbling effect to stop and the water in the cooler tubes is now flowing normally. I am not ready to use my computer but…

Fifth, I still need to return the computer to its standard position, which is standing vertically. In order to achieve that without disturbing the water in the tubes again, I need to do it easy and slow. I turned off the computer again, remove the cables, and hold the sides of it firmly while slowly making it stand. It almost took me 1 minute to return it to normal position but I believe it did not cause big movements for the water to cause bubbles again.

Lastly, I returned the cables, turned the computer on, and now it runs quieter just like it was repositioned.

Disclaimer: This is a personal-experienced-based guide by another user of this unit. I am not affiliated or official representative of the Antec brand. If you choose to follow my guide, please proceed at your own risk.

Comments

  1. I just had similar problem . I took off fan and rad to clean dust . when I put it all back the pc was overheating. Finally I put it sideways and it fixed it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Only positive comments are accepted. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.