Skip to main content

How to install Ubuntu 11.10 in a PC running Windows 7

I admit I was pretty indulged to the Microsoft Windows system because other than it is very famous; there are packs of software built for it as well. However, today I was enlightened by the idea that other operating systems do well too. The MAC OS and the Linux OS are both amazing systems. I would try MAC OS later, but as for now, the Linux system will worth a try because it’s FREE and EASY to get.

Linux’s idea to share a FREE operating system to the world and giving the world the right to change it to the way they like adds to the appeal of this software. People always love FREE things and sharing something very valuable is worth admiring. The appeal and the much talked about power of Linux caused me to decide to install it on one of my PC. I believed, as it was told, Linux only needs minimal hardware setting, giving me the chance to use my old PC running on Windows 7.

There are lots of Linux operating systems available online for free but I chose Ubuntu. I was influenced by the attractiveness of their website, its popularity, and the free applications that they are promising.

I love the way how I install Windows 7 to my old PC so I wish I could still install Ubuntu in it as a second operating system. What I really want is when I turn on my computer; a prompt will ask me to choose from the two operating systems already installed in it, in this case, Windows 7 or Ubuntu. Thus, the problem arises.

PROBLEM: How can we install Ubuntu as a second operating system to our PC running Windows 7?

SOLUTION: Yes we can install Ubuntu with an existing Windows 7 installation.We can use a free installer called Wubi.

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE:

  • First, download WUBI here and Ubuntu 11.10 here. Put the two files in the same folder.
  • Second, then RUN the installer just like starting any programs.
  • Third, you need enter your desired username and password. Choose the installation drive where you want to put Ubuntu. Choose from the option of how much installation size you want. Choose the language and desktop environment. TIP: Worry only to your username and password and leave the other options as it is. You can click Install now.
  • Fourth, wait for 10-30 minutes to finish the installation and it will prompt you to reboot your computer.
  • Lastly, when the computer starts, the BOOT MENU will appear and you will be asked what operating system to use. Click on Ubuntu and start using Ubuntu 11.10 now.

VIDEO:





Using Windows 7 will also give you lots of chances that your hardware drivers will work properly with Ubuntu. If not, try to search for equivalent drivers that are having problems online. I believe there are lots of Linux compatible hardware drivers available online too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.