Skip to main content

Can I use a laptop to time desktop computers (Internet Shop Setting)?

This question is from Anabelle Batabat who owns a small internet shop in General Santos City.

The answer is YES. I am actually using a laptop to be my internet cafĂ© management PC or operator. The reasons I choose to do this are…


First, is for lighter power consumption. Obviously, the operator PC is always on to control all the computers in the shop so running a less power demanding PC is an advantage. But, I don’t actually have problems when it comes to timing the charging or running the laptop in its batteries because I installed battery-timer software in the laptop. This small program will sound or alarm me in my preferred battery level, which is 30% empty, to connect the laptop to its charger and alarms again if the laptop is fully charged. Well, I still need someone to look over it. The interval of human intervention is 10-20 minutes but sometimes I just let the laptop run while it is connected to the charger for hours.

Second, it is very easy to network a laptop to other computers. I don’t even need a LAN cable because I just used its Wi-Fi capability. All I need is a Windows 7 operating system, Home group configuration, my internet shop management software configuration (the operator setup on my laptop) then I’m good to go.

Third, laptops are easy to transfer wherever you want if you find your current position uncomfortable or if you will need to move because you just add another PC in your shop.

Fourth, laptops are good for technical experiments because they are easy to handle. I used a 2 GB Readyboost technology in my Windows 7 laptop which amazingly boosts my laptop’s processing.

Fifth, you can use a cheap laptop. I just use a dual core Intel Atom CPU with a 2 GB memory setup. With some tweaks, it runs swift as an internet shop operator. Sometimes, I even play Facebook games while in charge with the customer’s time, if the custodian is not there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.