Skip to main content

How to bring back the Start Button in Windows 8

Most people in the world use Windows whether at work, at school, or at home - and I am one of them. While I love working with other operating systems such as the Mac OS X or Linux, Windows is just the big boy of them all giving me lots of options when it comes to using needed applications.

Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 8, the new operating system this 2013, which is primarily built for tablets, especially the touch screen ones. I have been working with Windows XP and many years with Windows 7. I am used to it. However, Windows 8 gives a new environment that somewhat disturbs my working routine. I do not really have the choice but still to upgrade for security and stability reasons. It locks your screen with wallpaper that you need to click or snap before entering to the log-on screen. You need to enter your Microsoft Account before finally meeting the Metro GUI. The desktop is now just an application included in this OS, it is not the control center anymore, and it is just an option. While I love the idea of having this kind of interface, especially if you have a touchscreen capable device. This is very cool! However, I am not yet used to it and I do not want to work with expensive touchscreens yet as well. I badly need the desktop and the start button that comes with it. Those two things make me productive with this OS for many years and I am not yet ready to leave them.

Good News to those who are like me that is in need of the Start Button and the Desktop itself. There are actually lots of applications that could bring back (at least the looks of it) the Start button and boots Windows 8 directly to the desktop. I have tried three of them (the popular and highly rated ones) and did have my favorite.

I choose StartW8 by AreaGuard (http://www.areaguard.com/startw8). You can download it free and install it in your Windows 8 system just like any software. After that, you need to choose your own preference and start using their version of the Start Button. What I like about this application is it is tiny, simple, closest to Windows 7 look Start Menu design, no ads, and it's free. There are however much greater options if you have the money or if you want another design which I will mention at the end of the post.

How to Download:

Go to their website (http://www.areaguard.com/startw8) and then choose from three options on where to download the file. Be sure to download the latest version to avoid bugs. The next steps will be simple just as you are downloading any file in the internet.

How to Install:

It is just as you are installing any program. Click and Run. After installation, you will now see a button in the left side of your taskbar and the settings menu of the application will pop-up for you to choose your preference.

Settings:

You can choose to boot directly to desktop (escape Metro), open the start button as you normally open Windows 7 start button using the Windows key and other shortcuts, and totally ignore the Metro interface if you accidentally click the hot corner. You can also choose which Menu item will appear in the Start Menu. Click OK to apply the changes. You can always go back to the settings later if you want to do some changes, just right-click on the button. Restart the computer and see if the application really works which I believe it really will.

Drawbacks:

It is just so simple that you may feel your Windows 8 downgraded to Windows 7. You cannot also choose which program will appear on the left side of the Menu. The program will just automatically display those apps that are frequently used. Moreover, the compromise (especially if you have a not so fast computer), this button somewhat freezes on start-up and you need to wait until you can click it and start using it.

Tip:

It is always good to master the secret powerful shortcut for Windows 8. Windows button + C and there you have your Windows 8 access links. Simply go to search if you need any program to run or file to find.

Other Options:

Pokki is also a good option especially if you love Metro GUI but you just want the apps to be in a menu like inside the Start Button. You cannot however use the default Windows 8 Apps but need to choose from Pokki apps, which may compromise your security. Classic Shell is also good for those who want free options.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.