Skip to main content

How to lessen power consumption with your Phenom II x6

Six-core processors are powerful in multitasking, multimedia playback, and even gaming – but as you use more cores – they also eat us much power. My Phenom II x6 1075T has a maximum thermal design power (TDP) of 125 watts. This means if I am gaming or doing sorts of stuffs with my computer at the same time, I am expecting to empty my pocket for the month because of power consumption. I did even tried to overclock (which is very easy with AMD’s CPUs) my 1075T up to 3.8 GHz. I used the HW Monitor (temperature monitor) from CPUID and found out that at average use, power consumption goes as high as 138 watts. While I do not really care how much I pay for the bills during that time, I just keep on extending the capabilities of my computer. However, I am not in gaming now and I have bought another computer. My wife will now use this six-core rig and I think it is just an overkill to keep the settings up. By the way, she will just use this PC for browsing, Microsoft Office, YouTube and Facebook. To lessen power consumption, I decided to change some settings in the BIOS.


Steps:

1. Turn off your computer and while you are in POST screen, press DEL or F2. Your BIOS key might be different from that but you can always read the manual or the website of your motherboard. My Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard uses the standard BIOS (the one with text and blue background).

2. Go to MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T):

CPU clock ratio – AUTO
CPU Northbridge Frequency – AUTO
Core Performance Boost – ENABLED
CPB Ratio – AUTO

I did overclock my processor so I need to bring back the default settings. I turn the clock speed to AUTO to keep it running at stock speed. You may choose to DISABLE AMD’s Core Performance Boost technology to stop the processor from running to its BOOST speed, in my case 3.6 GHz. I ENABLED mine because as much as I want save energy I do not like compromise performance as well. My wife sometimes watches 1080p videos, so this setting will be of benefit to her.

3. Go to Advanced BIOS Features:

AMD K8 Cool & Quiet Control – AUTO
CPU unlock – DISABLED
CPU Core Control – AUTO

You need to set AMD K8’s technology to AUTO so that your fans will not run crazy all the time. CPU unlock might not be applicable to your Phenom x6 but I choose to DISABLE it. The most important part is the CPU Core Control. I choose to set on AUTO because I enabled Core Performance Boost. This means if my wife does not need all the six cores to run, the computer will just use three cores and run it at BOOST speed. This is a great way to save energy. However, if you do not like this technology, you can set the CPU Core Control to MANUAL and just choose a number of cores to enable. While this might affect total performance, this is a sure way to save energy.

4. Press F10, click Y, and then ENTER.

Using HW Monitor, I can now see that Power Consumption drops to 68 watts and goes to 80 watts in average use. This means I just successfully lessen power consumption with some changes in the BIOS settings with my Phenom II x6 processor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.