Skip to main content

How to install Lubuntu (Linux OS) to my old HP Pavilion 780d

I have an old HP Pavilion 780d in my house given by friend who stopped using it because as he said: "It is too slow and the deadly blue screen flashes most of the time."

While HP Pavilion computers have elegant casing designs, the inside of this computer is not really getting any younger. While you might fall in love with the CD-Writer and DVD-ROM units in its front panel, but this computer is too old that it has a no built-in video output (no VGA socket) motherboard.

It could not handle the latest games, browsers, and office works of today looking on its specs but it could still be used as a personal computer. Considering the Pentium 4 inside it, I can still type documents in it, browse the internet with a more efficient browser version, download torrents, and even watch videos.

Here's the actual specs of HP Pavilion 780d (the version I have):
ASUS P4S333-M motherboard (no built-in video output)
Intel Pentium 4 processor (1.4 Ghz)
AGP 4x graphics card (32MB only)
1 GB DDR memory card + 256 MB DDR memory card (PC2100)

My plan is to install Windows XP to it, however I need to have the recovery disk. This computer, like other HP computers, does not boot ordinary Windows XP installers; you need to have the original CD installer from HP.

Plan B would be Windows 7, however judging on the specs, a Windows 7 installation might be possible but it might not be stable because of the graphic limitation of the computer. I actually tried just to satisfy my curiosity, and after an hour of successful installation, it crashed.

Therefore, my last resort is trying a Linux system to it. Well, this is not the least solution because it is actually the best option for this old and slow computer. Linux operating systems are best in utilizing old computers because they make slow computers faster and efficient by using lesser space and memory.

The popular choice is Ubuntu but the latest version requires a DVD to burn it. Sadly, I am yet to buy a DVD-writer. The next option will be Lubuntu. Lubuntu is a smaller version of Ubuntu and it only requires a CD to burn the installer.

How to Download:

To download Lubuntu, go here (http://lubuntu.net/). There will be three options; I downloaded the 32-bit Intel Processor desktop ISO image through torrent. If you have an AMD processors or Mac, you choose the other two options. The latest version as of November 3 is 10.12. You must get the latest version. Lightweight LXDE desktop environment and pre-installed (needed) applications are just one of the useful features of Lubuntu.

How to Burn:

Since they offer the ISO mage already, it would be very easy to burn it. Download the latest version of BurnCDCC (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm) for you to burn the ISO image easily to a CD. Unzip the file using Winrar (Rarlab.com). Install BurnCDCC to your computer. Run the application. Choose the Lubuntu ISO file, insert the blank CD (wait until it is recognized), and then choose CD 4x, DVD 1x speed by dragging the scroll. You need to have this slow speed to avoid errors in burning the installer. Eject the CD and prepare for the installation.

How to Install:

Turn on the computer and immediately go to the BIOS utility. In my case, I pressed F1 while the computer is loading. Some computers require F2 or DEL. While you are in the BIOS screen, insert the Lubuntu CD to the CD drive. Go to BOOT menu and set you are your CD drive as the first boot priority. This means you will boot first on that appliance. There are many ways in setting the boot priority. In my case, I just use the scroll in choosing the CD drive and click enter. Press F10 and OK to start booting with your CD.

The computer will restart and the Lubuntu screen will be shown which means your CD installer works. If it did not work at first try, burn the installer on another CD. After a while, the Lubuntu installation screen will be displayed and you need to choose “Install Lubuntu.” If you have a trace of Windows system in your hard disk, choose the “Install Lubuntu over Windows” option. This option is for a clean installation of the OS to your computer.

After that, the installer starts to run. There will be questions asked but they are very simple for you to answer. Wait for 20-30 minutes and be sure there are no interferences with your internet connection. Lubuntu needs to download necessary files. After this, Lubuntu will also require to restart the computer. Press restart.

While it is loading, go to the BIOS utility again and this time you need to set the boot priority to your hard disk and just simply disable the CD drive for booting. Then, press F10 and OK. The computer will restart again and this time it will boot on the installed OS inside the hard disk, which is Lubuntu.

Welcome to Lubuntu! If you have question or you need a walkthrough, you can go to their forum.

The Lubuntu button (which is like the Start button in Windows) contains your basic icons for the needed apps. Click that Lubuntu icon and click the menu you want to go. Lubuntu has pre-installed apps such as, Chromium for browsing, Abiword for word processing, Audicious for music, Pidgin for chat, and you can download more on the Lubuntu Software Center.

Start using your Lubuntu computer now.

How to use your Globe Tattoo or Smart Bro USB-based WiFi internet in Lubuntu? Read my guide here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.