Skip to main content

How to purchase the right motherboard for AMD dual core overclocking?

I am not a great fan of overclocking but I always want to get the slightest increase of the maximum performance of my computers. My aim of overclocking is no more than 10% increase of overall performance. I am not yet aiming any level higher than that because of safety and maintenance reasons. In short, I am not yet ready to fry my CPU or break my motherboard, or even worst, destroy my computer. Perhaps, I need more experience and research in doing this.

If you are like me who wants to get more in paying less, overclocking is a good option for you. I will guide you today on how to overclock an AMD dual core processor, in my case AMD Athlon II X2 250. However, before that, you need to purchase or have the right motherboard to do the job.


If you want to purchase a motherboard that can handle any socket AM3 processor and you want to get more out of it, this guide will be for you.

We recommend that you buy the cheap ASRock N68C-S UCC, which can handle great overclocking without the extra expense. It has also an integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics that would enable you to play online games like CrossFire Philippines in minimal settings without any add-on video card. Add AMD Athlon II X2 250 dual core processor to it and you will have a computer that could almost play all high-end games.

We select ASRock N68C-S UCC because it has the “Unlock CPU Core” capability and overclocking with this motherboard is very easy in its BIOS. You can also try the UCC capability to unlock an AMD X2 / X3 Core into X4 Core or AMD X4 Core into X6 Core processor. However, we will just talk about overclocking the AMD X2 in this post.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

400-500 watts power supply
At least one chassis fan or fan inside your casing

Here is the actual guide on how to overclock it (Proceed with Care):

First, turn on your computer and before it will boot, press the “DEL” or delete button in order to enter to its BIOS.

Second, go to OC Tweaker, press ENTER to the Load Optimized CPU OC Setting. Then, choose 10% Optimized, press F10 and then click OK.

Third, the computer will restart. There you go!

You can go to the BIOS again and check the speed of your processor and your CPU temperature to monitor the changes. You can also play your favorite online game to feel significant improvements.

Our AMD Athlon II X2 250 runs at 3.00 GHZ at normal setting. After it was overclocked, it runs up to 3.294 GHZ with just an average temperature of 56 degrees. Significantly, CrossFire Philippines runs faster. This means the overclock is successful and nothing to worry about.

Disclaimer: This guide is for information purposes only and not intended to be a standard guide on overclocking. If you want to follow the steps, proceed at your own risk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.