Skip to main content

How to Set up Two Monitors for PC using 1 cheap video card

I have one extra monitor set aside in my room which I have been thinking to be of use someday. After stumbling on a stock exchange topic where you can observe that people are using multiple monitors in one computer, I was motivated to add my extra monitor to my PC. This will give me 2 monitors functioning with one computer. This would be very helpful because it will give the chance to use separate screens at once or use the other one as an extension, for greater productivity in my work and in my gaming.

For an increase in your work or gaming output, you may want to add another monitor for your PC. Since Windows does support this enhancement, I encourage you to do this, especially if the work or even game really demands it. In gaming, it me sound just like an option but if you really have the passion, do the move, just like what I do.

There are lots of ways to install multiple monitors to your PC. In this tutorial, I choose the cheapest but effective one. This installation will only involve your extra monitor (LCD or CRT) and a cheap video card. In my case, I just have an old GeForce 9500 GT, which gracefully supports Multi Monitor system.

STEPS ON HOW TO INSTALL THE TWO MONITORS:

First, secure one extra monitor. You can actually use LCD or even CRT monitors with a VGA cable, of course.

Second, get the cheapest video card that has two outputs (VGA and DVI) and supports Multi Monitor system. It is most of the time written in the box of the product or if it’s used, just search it on Google.

Third, skip this step if your monitor has a DVI cable. If not, get a DVI to VGA converter. This is just a cheap piece of tool.

Fourth, install the video card to the PC. Here is my complete tutorial on how to install the video card. Then, connect the VGA and DVI cables to the video card output which is now at the back up of your PC.

Fifth, turn-on the PC and if you are using Windows 7, it will automatically detect the new video card or the new monitor. You may need to download the latest version of the video card software or if again you are using Windows 7, it will automatically install the latest driver. If you are not using Windows 7, just go to your Device Manager and right click on your video card, then press Update Driver (this step needs internet connection).

Lastly, for Windows 7, go to CONTORL PANEL again, APPEARANCE and PERSONALIZATION, in the DISPLAY menu, press Adjust Screen Resolution. There, you can see your two monitors labeled as 1 and 2. Press Identify to check if the first PC is labeled 1. You can make changes with the resolutions of the two monitors in this window too. During this step, you can now see the display on the other monitor. There are other options too like extending the display to the other monitor which you can try. If the other monitor is not functioning as expected, you could check if…

  1. It is turned on.
  2. It is properly and firmly connected to the video card output.
  3. The video card driver is updated.
  4. It is DETECTED in the Adjust screen resolution window.

And, if it still not functional, the monitor might be broken or you may change your cables.

If it worked well for you, you better check the display extension capability of Windows where you can drag one window from one monitor to another like magic. Or, jump to your game right away and play like having an eye of a hawk. Indeed, having extra monitors is really a great advantage whether you are a gamer or an office worker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler Noise

My six-core rig is now running but I have problems with the AMD stock cooler. It seems that my motherboard’s (Gigabyte GA 890GPA-UD3H) CPU fan control push the fans speed to higher limits that it starts to make noise when the computer runs for a longer time or when it starts. I have already used the Easy Tune 6 utility from Gigabyte and though I controlled the speed of the fans, it will still run up to 6000 rpm when the computer boots. Therefore, I decided to find a quieter CPU cooler. I ran to the computer shop and the only CPU cooler that they have is the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. I was only thinking of an air cooler but the time I saw the box, I was indulge to it. Liquid cooling system is not really my first choice because it is more expensive. However, we the alarming noise I am experiencing on my new six-core PC, I have no reason not to buy it. I admit the installation manual and even the forums I read on the internet were a little bit confusing, but I still managed to instal

How To Install Steam OS Without UEFI motherboard

I will teach you how to install Steam OS into your motherboard that does not have UEFI bios. The default Steam OS installation requires UEFI bios or it will not work. I did some Googling and found a way to bypass that and everything works perfectly afterwards. It is just slightly more difficult but do not worry. For those who do not know what steam OS is, it is an operating system created by Valve. It is a Linux with Debian Weezy on top and can run Linux programs if you want to.